Dear Treasurers and Finance Chairs (cc: to Pastors),
Happy New Year! With the close of another year I hope that you will do all you can to pay 2015 conference apportionments in full. The cut-off for receiving funds is Tuesday, January 12th
I know how difficult fulfilling this obligation can be. I’ve been a local church treasurer and finance chair in this conference for almost 30 years. Many of our churches are challenged by deteriorating buildings, declining attendance, aging populations and members on fixed incomes. Between costs for building upkeep and staffing it can be difficult to raise money for mission and ministry. But mission and ministry is our calling and core to our faith.
We are connected to each other in the United Methodist Church. Apportionments are the way that your church and your members help fund mission and ministry within our Conference, our nation and the world to make disciples of Jesus Christ.
The “connectional” structure of our denomination means that your apportionments go toward:
- Providing healthcare for retired pastors of our Conference
- Supporting ministries of social concern and justice for the poor and disenfranchised
- Supporting soup kitchens, feeding programs, food pantries, after-school programs and a variety of ministries in each of our six districts to help people through difficult times
- Underwriting age-level programs in our Conference such as the Council of Youth Ministries, Older Adult Ministries and Children’s Ministries
- Providing scholarships to students that feel called to ministry
- And helping the Conference to run efficiently and effectively by providing leadership from our Bishop, our six District Superintendents and the Connectional Ministries and Finance offices
There are too many other uses of apportionments -- all ministry focused -- to list here, but you get the idea!
If your church cannot pay apportionments in full, please consider exceeding your previous year's percentage.
If you have any questions about the status of your payments please call Fran Collins at 914-615-2223. She will be happy to speak with you.
Please know that any level of payment is greatly appreciated and that we take our responsibility to be good stewards of these funds very seriously.
I wish each of you a happy, healthy and spirit-filled New Year!