Dear Trustee Chairs, Treasurers and Finance Chairs (copy to Pastors):
It is important that your church maintain adequate Property & Casualty insurance on your buildings, vehicles and operations. One uninsured incident can result in significant financial costs and potentially, the closure of a church's doors forever. Being adequately insured is probably the single-most important action a church can take to protect it's assets, it's people and it's ministry from unforeseen events.
With the termination of the Conference insurance program in 2012, every church should now be operating under its own policies. It is important that those policies meet the minimum insurance requirements set by the Conference.
Listed below are some quick tips as it relates to Property & Casualty insurance:
- Make sure your policy includes adequate coverage for "bonding" of those that handle money. Bonding is required by The Book of Discipline. In terms of the amount of coverage needed, think about the controls that are in place and then estimate the value of money that could be misappropriated without discovery.
- Make sure that your policy has updated and accurate values for the costs to rebuild church structures and replace contents. You should make sure that these values are periodically updated to reflect changes to structures and changes in the local costs of construction.
- Shop your insurance around every few years to ensure that your premiums are competitive in the marketplace.
- Permanently retain insurance policies, even if expired. This is especially important for certain claims (such as alleged sexual molestation), which can surface years or decades after your policy has expired.
- Report claims to your insurer immediately. Many companies have time-limits for reporting beyond which they will not service a claim.
At the bottom of this e-mail are some agents/insurers that area churches have used for Property & Casualty insurance. We are not making any recommendations and the church needs to undertake its own due-diligence when selecting any agent or insurer.
Also, please note that Workers Compensation insurance continues to be provided by the Conference to all churches and church-controlled preschools. We have negotiated very favorable group rates with Church Mutual for this coverage. Each church is required to be included in this program and therefore should not purchase this coverage directly.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Church Mutual Insurance Company
955 West Mountain Road
Queensbury, NY 12804
Territories: NY & CT
1-800-554-2642 menu option 1 (you will be put in touch with the rep that handles your geographic area)
Emery & Webb Inc.
Fishkill, NY - Phone 845-896-6727 Stuart Walker and Francis Ward
Pawling, NY - Phone 845-855-1112
Poughkeepsie - NY Phone 845-454-4220
Rhinebeck, NY - Phone 845-876-4065
Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services
2 Gannett Drive
White Plains, NY 10604
Contact person: Kevin Barry
Territories: NY & CT
Fred Morris Agency 1980 Route 112, Suite 2
Coram, NY 11727
Territories: Long Island
Thom Ianniccari, CPIA
PO Box 43, Mahopac, NY 10541.0043
Office (888) 889.9827
Direct Number (914) 715.2991
Direct Fax (845) 622.3679