Indiana Conference - Director of Church Development
Indiana Conference - Director of Church Development
Title of position—Director of Church Development
ACA Classification-Regular Full-Time
Supervisor— Executive Assistant to the Bishop/Director of Connectional Ministries
Our charge is to assist the United Methodist churches of Indiana as they make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. We support this important mission through our Redevelopment and Church Planting teams.
Our Mission Statement – to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world by equipping its local churches for ministry and by providing connection for ministry beyond the local church; all to the glory of God.
Our Vision is to create and develop new and existing vibrant congregations that are
- multiplying, and
- team and group based, so that our congregations are producing
- faithful disciples,
- fruitful leaders and
- transformed communities!
- Member of the Bishop’s Extended Cabinet as the primary team lead so that there is alignment of conference leadership
- Member of a team of directors who have covenanted to be in spiritual relationship with one another and responsible together with the Bishop and Executive Assistant for a whole conference vision
- Coordinates and collaborates work with conference directors, the bishop and the district superintendents
- Hires and trains Church Development staff
- Recruits, leads, trains and supports conference leadership teams in new church development, church revitalization, and discipleship ministries
- Oversees the recruitment, training and supervision of new church planters
- Develops relationships with pastors of churches that could start off-site congregations
- Supports and coordinates activities of other groups that have affiliation through church development
a) General church development groups
b) Conference church development committee
c) Conference Discipleship Ministry Team
d) Any teams or task forces that may have been created by the conference or districts in response to new church development needs or opportunities
- Seeks opportunities for church development in Hispanic, African American and Asian communities
- Budget accountability to the Council on Finance & Administration (“CFA”) and Church Development team
- Associate Directors of Church Development
- Additional staff persons as needed and appropriate working with or on Church Development events, projects or programs
- B.S. or B.A.; preference given to Masters of Divinity or equivalent theological education
- Knowledgeable and supportive of the mission and ministry of the United Methodist Church
- Deep sensitivity and commitment to diversity (culture, race, gender, theology, etc.); knowledge and interest in strengthening the ethnic minority churches in the Conference
- Substantial familiarity with structure and polity of the United Methodist Church
- Certification in the area of church development
- High level of competence in “best practices” of church growth and revitalization
- Demonstrated ability to lead groups for change; team player
- Ability to be connectional and collaborative in a system of many levels
- Efficient and effective organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills; ability to boldly and with clarity engage in conversation and collaboration
- Creative, innovative, relational
- Ability to maintain high confidentiality and manage issues using discretion
- Decisive decision-maker with the ability to build collaboration and trust among team members, Conference leadership, local churches and other INUMC constituencies
- Ability and willingness to work weekends and evening hours as needed; willingness and ability to travel by car as necessary to locations throughout the INUMC
- Competence in computer technology and application programs (Slack, Dropbox, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, database management)
- Familiarity with the demographics of the State of Indiana (areas of growth, decline and socioeconomic change) or willingness to study demographic materials and gain understanding of our demographic trends
- Expertise with the re-development systems (i.e. HCI, VCI, MCCI), or willingness to study the materials used in that program until proficient in managing, directing and promoting this program
- Knowledge of and familiarity with Conference-wide church planting systems
- Knowledge of and familiarity with discipleship processes and systems for local churches, districts and Conference-wide
- Knowledge and proven success in fund development
- A vital and growing relationship with Jesus Christ and a passion to help fulfill the church’s mission to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
- Path 1
- Discipleship Ministries for the United Methodist denomination
- ICF – coach training
- Ecumenical connections to others who are doing church development/new church plants
- Experience in other Annual Conferences
Interested applicants must complete and submit the following information to be considered:
- A letter of interest which includes the following:
- What is it about the position of Director of Church Development that appeals to you the most?
- Please share how you believe your past work experiences have prepared you for a role such as the one being offered?
- Please share how you feel your personal values and beliefs align with those of the Indiana Conference of the United Methodist Church?
- A current resume detailing qualifications
All resumes and information should be submitted via email to email@example.com no later than Wednesday, November 15, 2017.