Woodstock: Overlook Woodstock New York
Overlook United Methodist Church
Ralph A. Merante - Pastor
Church Contact Information
Established in 1832 as the Methodist Episcopal Church of Woodstock and expanded in 1869 as the Woodstock Charge – which included Little Shandaken, Yankeetown (now the town of Wittenberg), and Bristol (now the town of Shady) – Overlook today represents the merger in 1960 of two congregations: Wittenberg and Woodstock.
The Reverend James W. Cook served as pastor when the Woodstock and Wittenburg churches were consolidated as well as during the 1967 move to the present site. Easter Sunday 1982 marked a grand 150th anniversary year celebration – the first service was held in the newly completed sanctuary with Dr. Francis S. Goh officiating. Rev. Ralph Merante is the congregation’s newest pastor, and was named Onteora Parish Coordinator to serve both the Overlook and Phoenicia churches effective August 2022.
Weekly services are held on Sunday mornings at 10:30 AM. It is also home to NYS Office of Child and Family Services-licensed First Steps Early Childhood Education Center. Community outreach programs, including Promises and New Visions, utilize the complex, which is located at 233 Tinker Street (Route 212) in the town of Woodstock.