NY Conference, District Administrative Assistants
NY Conference, District Administrative Assistants
New York Conference of The United Methodist Church has several new positions for full-time Administrative Assistants working with our District Superintendents.
The Administrative Assistants are involved with a variety of administrative and clerical duties in direct support of six District Superintendents. The Administrative Assistants will work cooperatively to focus on recording and disseminating information, scheduling meetings and events, maintaining files, lists and records, facilitating communication and performing other duties required to effectively manage the office.
Applicants must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, have knowledge and ability to use social media and have the ability learn additional PC applications. Applicants must have excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills as well as be proficient in English grammar and composition. The position requires the ability to discern when privacy is required, maintaining appropriate confidentiality dealing with management, personnel and sensitive issues. Minimal local travel in NY and CT may be occasionally required. Applicants must have relevant college coursework in business, technology and/or office administration and at least five years of experience in an administrative position.
The position is located in the White Plains, NY, is full-time and offers a competitive salary and full benefits.
To apply please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
New York Annual Conference Position Description
Job Title: Administrative Assistant (AA)
Department/Area: District Office
Reports to: District Superintendents
Classification: Non-exempt, full time
Summary: This position works cooperatively with co-workers who are involved with a variety of administrative and clerical duties in direct support of the six District Superintendents. The AA focuses on recording and disseminating information, scheduling meetings and events, maintaining files, lists and records, facilitating communication, and performing other duties required to effectively manage the office in support of the ministry of the District Superintendent. The position will work in the White Plains, NY Conference Center.
Principal Duties or Tasks:
- Compiles, records and files a wide variety of forms, lists and other information (electronically and hard copy) required to run the district office and fulfill the responsibilities of the District Superintendent. Such information includes personnel files, lists of churches, pastors and other clergy, retirees, lay servants, email addresses, committee meeting schedules and minutes, appointment forms and related correspondence, charge conference reports, annual reports, etc.
- Opens, reviews, refers, answers, and/or files mail and email correspondence.
- Answers telephone calls and responds to voice mail messages received in the office. Replies to inquiries or refers messages to the district superintendents or others as appropriate.
- Assists in scheduling meetings, appointments and other events on the district superintendents’ calendar. Helps arrange and coordinate group meetings and district events as needed.
- Addresses questions and other inquiries, related to the work of the Superintendent, of those who visit the Conference Center.
- Accesses and extracts data from NYAC Console (conference database); updates information in the Console, as directed by the IT Manager.
- Emails information/reports to district leaders as needed.
- Sends information on clergy, events and other district matters to Conference departments as required. Directs questions on clergy benefits to NYAC HR/Benefits Manager.
- Formats and/or prepares letters, flyers, newsletter items, website entries, meeting materials and other documents as assigned by the district superintendents, in conjunction with the other Administrative Assistants and the Conference Director of Communications, in order to provide a consistent communication presence throughout the Annual Conference.
- Inventories and orders supplies, training materials, food/refreshments for events and meetings as needed.
- Maintains and reconciles invoices and expense reports under the directives of the Finance Department.
- Works cooperatively and efficiently with co-workers to support the district superintendents, cabinet and conference departments.
- Any other assignments as requested/required.
- The position is jointly accountable to the District Superintendents to which they are assigned.They will also work under the direction of the Conference Director of Communications.
- College coursework and/or degree with related experience in business administration and/or English.
- Basic understanding of the mission and values of the United Methodist Church.
- Skill in organizing and maintaining electronic data files, lists and correspondence.
- Skill in communicating orally with a diverse population of callers and visitors via telephone, and email or in person
- Skill in navigating the internet; uploads, downloads, internet searches, etc.
- Ability to access and utilize data from NYAC Console and in-house management tools.
- Strong proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Ability to learn and implement new PC applications.
- Skill in using office PC software tools and peripheral hardware devices (e.g., fax, scanner, printer)
- Willing to participate in Annual Conference and training workshops/programs.
- Ability to discern when privacy is required and capacity to act with discretion, maintaining appropriate confidentiality dealing with management, personnel and sensitive issues.
- Ability to work proactively and complete all duties on schedule.
- Ability to use social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, e.g.)