Newman Memorial UMC
257 Macon St
Brooklyn, NY 11216
Reverend Scharlise Dorsey is a preacher, teacher and visionary leader dedicated to building God’s Kingdom one family at a time.
Rev. Dorsey is a spiritually led pastor who has dedicated her life to living by example, grounded in Wesleyan spirituality with its emphasis on personal and social holiness that manifests in a ministry of servant leadership and social advocacy. She equips the local church through vibrant worship, prophetic preaching, weekly prayer meetings and bible study.
Her many gifts for ministry begin with a passion and love for our Lord Jesus and the Bible, followed by visioning, leadership development and church administration.
A native New Yorker, Rev. Dorsey was born and raised in the Bronx. She received her Bachelor of Science (BS) from SUNY Empire State College in New York and her Master of Divinity (MDiv) from Drew University Theological School. Rev. Dorsey was affirmed for commissioning by the Conference Board of Ordained Ministry in March 2020.
As local church pastor she has served at:
- Walden United Methodist Church, Walden, New York (July 2018–July 2020)
- Bullville United Methodist Church, Bullville, New York (July 2018–July 2020)
- Wappingers Falls United Methodist Church, Wappingers Falls, New York (2011– 2018)
- Pleasant Valley United Methodist Church, Pleasant Valley, New York (2013–2015)
- Fort Montgomery United Methodist Church, Fort Montgomery, New York (2007-2011)
- Highland Falls, United Methodist Church, Highland Falls, New York (2007– 2011)
Rev. Dorsey has received several awards and recognitions for faithful, outstanding and dedicated leadership to the church and communities she has served.
Reverend Dorsey’s husband and ardent supporter of her ministry, Robert J. Dorsey, died in 2017. Their four adult children are Prince, Princess, Ta’Shawn and Joseph. In her spare time, Rev. Dorsey enjoys spending time with her six grandchildren and pursuing a wide range of interests including women’s concerns, children’s ministries and social justice advocacy.
Newman Memorial United Methodist Church
257 Macon Street
Brooklyn, NY 11216