Lydia E. Lebrón-Rivera
Reverend Lydia E. Lebrón-Rivera began her ministry in the New York Annual Conference in the local church in the 1980s, serving first as a deacon. She was ordained in 1986 as an elder.
An avid reader, she writes poetry and has a passion for community empowerment and organizing. Rev. Lebrón-Rivera is currently completing a four-year term as Chair of the NYAC Board of Ordained Ministry. She is also fluent in English and Spanish.
Rev. Lebrón-Rivera earned a Master of Divinity (MDiv) at Seminario Evangélico de Puerto Rico in Río Piedras, Puerto Rico and attended Union Theological Seminary in New York City, where she completed post-graduate coursework in Hebrew Scriptures/Old Testament.
Within the New York Annual Conference (NYAC), Rev. Lebron-Rivera has served at:
- Grace United Methodist Church in New York City, Pastor (2011-2020)
- La Resurrección United Methodist Church in Bronx, New York 2006-2011)
- Fordham Hispanic United Methodist Church in Bronx, NY, Interim Pastor (1997-1998)
- Hempstead Hispanic United Methodist Church in Hempstead, New York, Pastor (1984-1987)
Rev. Lebrón-Rivera also served an appointment to ministry beyond the local church as Associate Director for Hispanic Ministries for the Multiethnic Center for Ministry of the NEJ and later as a scholar for Biblical translation at the American Bible Society (ABS).
For almost two decades Rev. Lebrón-Rivera was an instructor in Garrett-Evangelical Seminary’s Course of Study School and while appointed to pastoral ministry, she continued to teach, lecture, write and lead workshops.
Additionally, Rev. Lebrón-Rivera has:
- Edited and co-authored Modelos de Liderazgo, a biblical study resource based on the leadership qualities of biblical characters.
- Authored scholarly papers and articles on translation, new media.
- Participated in joint projects with Americas Region of the United Bible Societies.
- Presented at triennial scholarly conferences of United Bible Societies.
- Authored articles for ABS website.
- Taught basic biblical Hebrew to ABS employees.
- Co-founded the South Bronx Community Congress.
- Received several community awards for leadership .
Rev. Lebrón-Rivera’s husband, Daniel Johansson, is an ordained minister in the Evangelical Lutheran Church and they have two gifted young adult children, Ester Amelia and Leonardo.
Epworth United Methodist Church
834 Concourse Vlg E
Bronx, NY 10451-3736