Lydia E. Lebrón-Rivera
Reverend Lydia E. Lebrón-Rivera began her ministry in the New York Annual Conference in the local church in the 1980s, serving first as a deacon. She was ordained in 1986 as an elder.
An avid reader, she writes poetry and has a passion for community empowerment and organizing. Rev. Lebrón-Rivera is currently completing a four-year term as Chair of the NYAC Board of Ordained Ministry. She is also fluent in English and Spanish.
Rev. Lebrón-Rivera earned a Master of Divinity (MDiv) at Seminario Evangélico de Puerto Rico in Río Piedras, Puerto Rico and attended Union Theological Seminary in New York City, where she completed post-graduate coursework in Hebrew Scriptures/Old Testament.
Within the New York Annual Conference (NYAC), Rev. Lebron-Rivera has served at:
- Grace United Methodist Church in New York City, Pastor (2011-2020)
- La Resurrección United Methodist Church in Bronx, New York 2006-2011)
- Fordham Hispanic United Methodist Church in Bronx, NY, Interim Pastor (1997-1998)
- Hempstead Hispanic United Methodist Church in Hempstead, New York, Pastor (1984-1987)
Rev. Lebrón-Rivera also served an appointment to ministry beyond the local church as Associate Director for Hispanic Ministries for the Multiethnic Center for Ministry of the NEJ and later as a scholar for Biblical translation at the American Bible Society (ABS).
For almost two decades Rev. Lebrón-Rivera was an instructor in Garrett-Evangelical Seminary’s Course of Study School and while appointed to pastoral ministry, she continued to teach, lecture, write and lead workshops.
Additionally, Rev. Lebrón-Rivera has:
- Edited and co-authored Modelos de Liderazgo, a biblical study resource based on the leadership qualities of biblical characters.
- Authored scholarly papers and articles on translation, new media.
- Participated in joint projects with Americas Region of the United Bible Societies.
- Presented at triennial scholarly conferences of United Bible Societies.
- Authored articles for ABS website.
- Taught basic biblical Hebrew to ABS employees.
- Co-founded the South Bronx Community Congress.
- Received several community awards for leadership .
Rev. Lebrón-Rivera’s husband, Daniel Johansson, is an ordained minister in the Evangelical Lutheran Church and they have two gifted young adult children, Ester Amelia and Leonardo.
125 West 104th Street
New York, NY 10025-4254