Charles Young-Chul Ryu
Reverend Charles Young-Chul Ryu is a fourth generation Methodist. Born in Seoul, Korea, his family immigrated to the United States in the middle of his attending high school, which he finished in Glendale, California. Called to ordained ministry rather early during his childhood in Korea, that call deepened itself over time, and was clarified even through and because of the disruptive change in his life settings, now as an immigrant and ethnic minority in the U.S. He began to see his life more as a global citizen, in turn reclaiming Wesley’s “World is My Parish” from his new social location. Over time, his spiritual journey progressed from his more traditional and pietistic background to a more ecumenical, inter-faith, progressive, activist, scientific, and contemplative/mystical form of Christian walk.
A passionate learner, Rev Ryu received philosophical and theological education from Boston University (B.A.), The University of Chicago (M.A) and Yale University (M. Div & STM). He also holds a second B.A degree in music (theory and composition) from State University of New York at New Paltz, and has done a graduate level study at Vatican’s Pontifical Institute of Sacred Music (Rome, Italy). He is a member of two academic guilds: European Society for Intercultural Theology and Inter-religious Studies (ESITIS), and European Society for the Study of Science and Theology (ESSSAT).
During his pastoral journey over three decades, Rev. Ryu has been previously appointed to:
- St. Paul’s United Methodist Church, Middletown, New York (2011– 2020)
- Stony Point Conference Center, Stony Point, NY (2002-2008) as its Program Director
- Han-Mi Presbyterian Church, New City, NY, (1999 – 2002)
- Pine Plains United Methodist Church, Pine Plains, NY (1992 –1996)
- Korean Methodist Church and Institute, New York, NY, (1986-1990), as Associate Pastor developing the English Language Ministry that eventually became Morningside UMC.
Additionally, he served as part-time or short term assignment pastor while studying and during transitional periods in the following churches:
- University United Methodist Church, East Lansing, MI (Jan.-June 2011), as Pastoral Associate for Worship and Adult Christian Education
- Ponte Sant’ Angelo Methodist Church, Rome, Italy (2009- Nov. 2010) as Organist and Coordinator of Young Adults Ministry
- Bethel Korean Presbyterian Church, White Plains, New York (Oct. 2003 - April 2005) as Interim Supply Pastor
- Hanmaum Korean United Methodist Church, New Windsor, NY (June 1998 – Feb. 1999) as Assisting Minister for Multicultural Family Ministry
- Mid-Hudson Korean United Methodist Church, Poughkeepsie, NY (Nov.1996 – May 1998) as Minister of Education (Children’s Ministry)
- Korean American Campus Ministry at Yale, New Haven, CT (Sep.1990 -June 1992 & Sep. 1987-June 1988) as Campus Minister
- Korean Presbyterian Church of Westchester, Pelham, NY, (May-August, 1991) as Minister for Youth and Young Adults
- St. Paul’s United Methodist Church, Northport, Long Island, NY (September 1985 - June 1986) Assistant Minister, as part of the Intern Year at Yale University Divinity School
Rev. Ryu speaks multiple languages including: English, Korean, German, Italian, Spanish and French (listed in the order of fluency).
New York, NY 10040