The UMC: Foundational Understanding
Foundation: Living the Gospel
The United Methodist Church is founded on a Wesleyan theology of grace, anchored in Scripture and based in the life and teachings of Jesus Christ and the continuing movement of the Holy Spirit.
United Methodists believe the fundamentals of the Wesleyan tradition and dedicate ourselves to the mission of making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
United Methodists believe in the connected power of 12 million souls united, working towards good in the world.
United Methodists embrace a church that is:
- Anchored in Scripture and a theology of grace.
- Aspiring to be a more just and inclusive force in the world.
- Uplifting in our own lives and the lives of our friends, family, and those we cherish.
- Built on loving relationships rather than uniformity in thought and action.
- Welcoming, so everyone does not have to agree and everyone is welcome.