The Special Session of the General Conference will be held February 23-26, 2019, in St. Louis, where 864 lay and clergy delegates from around the world will gather to receive and act upon a report from the Commission on a Way Forward based on the recommendations of the Council of Bishops. They will seek a way forward on the issues surrounding LGBTQI persons.
The 32-member commission was authorized by General Conference 2016 and appointed by the Council of Bishops to examine paragraphs in The Book of Discipline concerning human sexuality and exploring options to strengthen the unity of the church.
> Check back here for daily updates once General Conference begins.
FOLLOWING GENERAL CONFERENCE
- General Conference 2019: Live video stream (English)
- Preliminary schedule from Advance Daily Christian Advocate
- February 23 Schedule: General Conference Day of Prayer
- Photos of the 8 delegates and 8 reserve delegates from the New York Conference
- How legislative work will be prioritized
- Bishops' "covenant of presiding"
- NYAC team leading worship services
FOUR MAJOR PLANS EXPLAINED
The United Methodist News Service offered a four-part series explaining most of the prominent proposals coming before General Conference.
- Connectional Conference Plan
- One Church Plan
- Simple Plan
- Traditional and Modified Traditional Plan
- View the video: “Perspectives on a Way Forward” features spokespersons for the four proposals engaged in a discussion to highlight the differences among their plans.
IMPORTANT GC2019 DOCUMENTS
- Final Report of the Commission on A Way Forward (English)
- Final Report of the Commission on A Way Forward (Spanish)
- Advance Edition of the Daily Christian Advocate (English)
- Advance Edition of the Daily Christian Advocate (Other languages)
PRAYING OUR WAY FORWARD
PROCEDURAL PROCESSES OF THE UMC